Lumpen magazine is an independent, critical arts and culture publication, published 2 or 3 times a year with a circulation of 10-15,000 copies per issue. It is a project by the Public Media Institute, a non profit 501 C3 corporation. Please sign up for email newsletter here.
Lumpen magazine can be found in hundreds of outlets across Chicago and United States. Via our media projects, events and festivals we are fighting monoculture in all of its forms—and celebrating the vibrancy of emerging cultures.
The magazine is our oldest project, a home base or point of entry for everything else we create. In the last 133 issues and 27 years our goal has stayed the same: present relevant cultural and political information to our readers.
In that time we’ve expanded our activities to producing events, exhibitions, festivals, other publications, art/activist projects as well as other media.
We also work on:
– Lumpen Radio / WLPN, our new Low Power FM Radio Station in Chicago
– Co-Prosperity Sphere, an experimental cultural center, based in the Chicago neighborhood of Bridgeport, the Community of the Future.
– Matériel Magazine, an art and design magazine.
– Mash Tun, A Journal about Craft Beer and the culture that surrounds it.
– Under The Counter Culture, a place to purchase our stuff.
– Version, an international convergence focusing on art, technology and social issues.
Here’s what other people have had to say about Lumpen over the years:
The best magazine in America today. — Fader
A resistance that defines the “underground,” Lumpen features a plethora of young artists who express common worries and desires. — Vogue Italia
Lumpen is part of a new generation of activist hipsters: digitalized, freaked out and plugged into a new wavelength. — Adbusters
Best Culture magazine finalist. — Utne Reader
Anarchists with barcodes. — Chicago Tribune
If you have any questions or comments, including info on advertising rates, sizes, etc. email us at edmarlumpen at gmail dot com
If you want to submit something for review send materials to:
960 W. 31st Street
Chicago, Il 60608